Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Frustrated With a Capital "F"

I am completing my RSS assignment and feel total frustration. The ideas are so great, but it really seems like one week for each assignment is way too short. If we ever do this type of training again, I would like to see each section given at least 2 weeks or even a month so that we could really learn the material. I feel like I am just getting a bite of each and then have to move on to the next course. Maybe some of the staff only needs 30 minutes to do the assignments, but most I have spoken to are really struggling to get everything done. As i think about the whole idea of "RSS", I feel badly because even though it is a wonderful tool, I am afraid I will never have enough time to be able to read everything that comes my way. Maybe if I were about 45 years younger, this would all come easier for me. As it is, I know all of this is good for me and so I will just keep plodding on and try to throw my frustrations in the back seat.

3 comments:

krl2pt0 said...

Dear Booklady:

Some of these different tools do have a lot of features that take time to explore. i learn a little more each time i use one.
the purpose of krl2pt0 is really just to give everyone an introduction to these tools. once the program is done, the ones you like and continue to use will become familiar and friendly.
we talked to people who have completed similar programs in 3 different local libraries, and researched programs across the country that ranged from 6 weeks to one year.
the consensus of everyone we talked with, and read about, was to keep the program reasonably short for a variety of different reasons. (i'd be happy to go into those in more depth sometime, if you'd like).
when krl2.0 ends, hopefully the learning doesn't. that's when we'll start to really take a serious look at the ideas people at KRL and other libraries have come up with to integrate the most relevant of these tools into what we do.
so, keep at it, use the backseat or the trunk as a recepticle, & remember this is just a handshake kind of tour. by the time you're done, you'll be acquainted -- and will then have time to become better friends with the tools you're sympatico with.

bc

Unknown said...

Hang in there. I am doing all the assignments but will not be using most of them when the class is done. I do like at least seeing them.

Constance said...

I am with you. Some of these assignments don't sink in until 2 or 3 weeks after we have moved on. Because of that, I am sure there are some I will never use again.