Wednesday, January 23, 2008

TO FACEBOOK OR NOT TO FACEBOOK

After taking the Facebook tour and reading the article by Meredith Farkas, I am still not so sure if I like the idea of this particular site's place in the library. I have always been a rather cautious person and the whole idea sounds a bit scary to me. The other social networking sites didn't have this effect on me. In fact, I readily signed up for most of them. I did not sign up for Facebook.

So, I guess I would have to say that at this point I would want to wait as I am just not so sure about it.

1 comment:

krl2pt0 said...

facebook has taken some pretty big hits lately, justifiably so in my opinion, for some of the things it did then had to back away from.

i think caution is warranted, more so around personal profiles than around organizational sites.

i don't believe anyone really knows yet whether or not this is something that will help libraries reach out to an audience it may otherwise miss. i think it is worth experimenting with to see, being clear that it is just that, an experiment.

there are some examples of museums using social networking sites in ways that both pushed their exhibits out, and pulled patrons in, doubling the exposure and reaching people that would not get to the physical space.

whether that model can be translated to libraries, i don't think anyone really knows yet.

bc